We recommend J-B Weld for bonding Aero Pack motor retainers not only because it is ideal for any combination of aluminum, phenolic, fiberglass, wood and paper but also because it can withstand 500 degrees F continuously and 600 degrees F for up to 10 minutes. So bring on your long burn motors that generate high case and aft closure heating. Maximum temperatures for standard transparent/translucent hobby epoxies typically range from only 150-250F.
J-B Weld stays pliable for about 30 minutes after mixing, sets in 4-6 hours, and cures fully in 15-24 hours.
It is recommended to clean the bonding surfaces with acetone or lacquer thinner. In the absence of these two, soap and water can be used. Just be sure that the surface is completely dry.
Some interesting additional facts about J-B Weld:
- It has proven to maintain its characteristics to temperatures as low as -67 F (67 F below zero).
- You can thin J-B Weld to make it easier to pour. Add up to 1 teaspoon (0.17 liquid ounce) of acetone or lacquer thinner per 2 ounces (1 full package) of mixed product.
- J-B Weld is microwave safe.
- It is water-proof, petroleum, chemical, and acid resistant, resists shock, vibration and extreme temperature fluctuations.
- You can bond virtually any combination of iron, steel, copper, aluminum, brass, bronze, pewter, porcelain, ceramic, marble, glass, PVC and ABS, concrete, fiberglass, phenolic, wood, paper, fabric and just about any porous and non-porous material with exception to rubber.